DUTCH OVEN RECIPES INGREDIENTS
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (for 1 cup chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (for 1 cup chopped)
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth or fat-free chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) mexican style stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) red kidney beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Peel and coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the skillet as you chop. Seed and coarsely chop the bell pepper, adding it to the skillet as you chop. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Add the garlic, broth and stewed tomatoes and stir. Raise the heat to high. Rinse and drain the black beans and kidney beans and add them to the soup pot. Stir in the refried beans and the cumin. Stir well. Cover and let the soup come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and stir occasionally for 5 to 7 minutes or until ready to serve. Serves 4 persons...enjoy the Dutch oven recipe !