DUTCH OVEN RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 (3.5 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces (I usually use 3.5lbs of b/s breast)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh hot chili pepper (such as jalapeo), seeded & minced (I omit for the kids)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, homemade or canned
- hot cooked rice or couscous
In large bowl, combine onions, lime juice, salt & pepper. Add chicken & toss to coat well. Cover & refrigerate for 3-6 hours. Remove chicken from marinade & pat dry with paper towels. Drain marinade in colander set over large bowl. Reserve both liquid and solids.
Heat oil in 5-quart Dutch oven. Cook chicken in batches over medium-high heat, turning often, until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to plate & set aside.
Add reserved marinated onions, celery, garlic & chili pepper to Dutch oven; cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onions have softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in chicken broth & reserved marinade liquid; bring to boil. Return chicken to Dutch oven; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until chicken shows no sign of pink at the bone when cut with tip of sharp knife, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve over hot cooked rice or couscous. Enjoy the Dutch oven recipe !